Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

This is this week's Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke & the Bookish.

This week's topic: Top Ten Book Turn Offs

Rachel's list is a little more cut and dry and mine.  I do agree with Rachel's list and in addition a turn off to me is how the book makes me feel.  A really well written book has so much power over my emotions it's not even funny.  For whatever reason, I become emotionally connected to what is happening in the book.  Is anyone else like this or is it just me?  One of big emotion that I do not care to feel when I read is terror which is one the reasons I stay away from horror books.  Blood and gore don't bother me, it's more of the feeling of terror when someone/something is going to jump out at you.  Disgust is also another big emotion I try to stay away from.  This is what I would feel if children are being mistreated in any way or when adults have no morals.  Contemplating rape, murder, abuse that sort of thing.   I also prefer books with happy endings, since sadness is also a very strong emotion for me as well, however, it's not a deal breaker.

These are on Rachel's list, which I also find annoying.

~Overuse of exclamation points
~Overuse of hyphens
~Over descriptiveness
~Childish dialogue
~Too cliche
~Drug use
~Incest


What else do you find are book turn offs?


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...