Friday, September 20, 2013

Feature & Follow #3: Favorite Picture Books As a Kid

The Feature & Follow is hosted by Parajunkee of Parajunkee’s View and Alison of Alison Can Read. The goal is to get new followers, make friends and introduce yourself to new people. This is the meet and greet of the book blog world.



This Week's Questions:
What were some of your favorite picture books as a kid? 

My absolute favorite picture books growing up were Rose Petal Place. I still adore these books so much that I have been contemplating buying them off Amazon for quite some time, but I am trying to find these childhood treasures at a secondhand shop. There is just something more enchanting about stopping in a little book shop to see if by chance I will find them after years of searching. It would be serendipity.

If you have kids, what are your favorite to read to them?


I would read a little bit of everything but two books that would be most prominent in my children's lives would be Little Bear's Little Boat and Grace For President. My boyfriend actually found Little Bear's Little Boat in Target one day when we were shopping for a birthday gift for my friend's one year old. My boyfriend said we need to buy this book. I started reading it and literally started crying...in Target. It is the sweetest book about sharing. I have since bought a copy for my nieces.

Grace For President was a Christmas gift for my niece with a president barbie doll. In this book, the girl asks her teacher why there are no female presidents and decides to run for class president. As a political science graduate, I am very adamant  in the importance of voting and women's involvement in politics. This book actually teaches kids about the Electoral College in a cute and simple way.

Please follow by email, Boglovin,' GFC and/or Google +. Let me know all the ways you follow me so I can reciprocate the love and hit you back. :)

18 comments:

  1. Little Bear's Little Boat sounds great - if it made you cry it must be (haven't found many picture books that can really get to me)! Is it the same Little Bear as in the Little Bear series?

    Thank for stopping by!
    New follower via BL, Twitter, FB, & GR :-) I think I also followed via email but I wasn't sure if I was subscribing to posts or comments...
    Berls @ Fantasy is More Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not the same as the little bear series, it is a standalone book. But, if you are ever killing time in Target make sure to give it a quick read. Hopefully it doesn't make you cry though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. all your books seem awesome, i especially liked grace for president, how cute!

    following via fb, bloglovin and g+, was already following via gfc

    Guinevere & Libertad @ Twinja Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I added you back. :) I really like your FB page with all the different books you listed that have different races or multi-races in it. Very awesome idea!

      Delete
  4. That is a really great story about your boyfriend in Target. We men get some things right from time to time. I will need to check out Little bear Little Boat.

    Thanks for stopping by my FF, I'm a new follower through Bloglovin. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am sure he would agree with you on that. :)

      Delete
  5. Aw great pick! Brings back some memories! Check out what I picked =)

    new follower gfc


    -Amanda P


    Where the Night Kind Roam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I following you back via fb,twitter and bloglovin'. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hi I'm a new follower . . .love these picks . . .
    Kirsty
    My FF xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following you back! :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. whoops my link hasn't worked . . its http://www.kvlovesbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel, thanks for stopping by my blog. I followed you back!
    I've never heard of your picks. Rose Petal Place sounds adorable, though. Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch Kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! They also remind me of the old school Strawberry Shortcake and Friends series. :)

      Delete
  9. Great choices for your books. I loved this question! I am an old follower :)
    Brittany @ Spare Time book blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was so much fun to relive our childhood reading days! I love checking to see what everyone read.

      Delete
  10. I have never read the Rose Petal Place books, but if they are definitely as good as you say I will have to pick them up for my little one to enjoy. She loves books, maybe even more than I do. I know that her bookshelf has more books on it currently than I personally own. But I tend to borrow from the public library and am getting into the ebooks.

    Little Bear's Little Boat is an amazing read and one that I never get tired of reading to my little one. Thank you Rachel for picking it up, and I supposed a shout out to the boy of your since he picked it up off the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a good point. I have so many books...I don't know where I will fit children books when I have kids. Right now, I try to just borrow from the library and get free books on my tablet. But, secondhand stores have a power over me like nothing else. I actually picked up three relationship books at Stuff tonight even though I probably have 15 books or more checked out from the library right now. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a lot shorter than I was expecting.

      I want to go as one of the characters from Rose Petal Place for Halloween one year, but I need to have time to make the costume. Have you decided what you are doing for Halloween this year?

      I need to pick up a copy of Little Bear's Little Boat for myself sometime just in case I have kids so day. ;)

      Delete
  11. I love, love, love "Little Bear's Boat." I work in a Children's Library and I've noticed that it doesn't go out NEARLY as much as it deserves to! Glad to see some love for it here. :)

    Swing by my FF, if you feel so inclined!:
    http://thepookapicks.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/feature-follow-friday-9/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...