Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top 10 Books That Made Us Cry


This week's Top Ten Topic is REWIND! (Pick from previous topics that you want to do again or may have missed). Therefore, I picked Top Ten Books That Made Us Cry since I love tearjerker films and books and I am notorious for crying at sappy, sentimental stuff such as the Budweiser horse and puppy commercial that they played during the Superbowl. As always, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely The Broke & the Bookish.

Melissa's Picks:

1. Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak *

3. Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda *

4. Allegiant by Veronica Roth 

5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green* 

Melissa doesn't like books that make her cry. Time and time again, she has repeatedly voiced this to me. I in turn, being the good friend that I am, blatantly disregard this fact. My last three book club picks as noted by the asterisk above have made her cry. I need to keep on this streak going so if you have any tearjerker book recommendations let me know. 

Impressive Fact about Melissa: These five books are the only ones she remembers crying for. 

Rachel's Picks:

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling - Harry finally gets a real relationship with his godfather and then it is snatch away from him. What a cruel, cruel world...

2. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins - Prim...Do I really need to say anymore.

3. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - The ending was so beautiful, sad and endearing.

4. Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff - I was choked up this entire book and it does not help that it is based on a true story.

5. For One More Day by Mitch Albom - His books always get me but especially this novel when the narrator recounts the "Times my mother stood up for me" and the "Times I did not stand up for my mother." I would recommend this for any child who could appreciate their mother a tad more at times.

I could include another whole book shelf on this list -Sarah's Key, Stargirl, Room, Their Eyes were Watching God, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, etc but we would be here all day. Let us know if you enjoyed our list and if you have read any of these books.

Also, we would love to hear what great books you have read that made you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...