I find it ironic that it is our 13th Showcase Sunday and Halloween is this week. Thirteen is my favorite number, but I know plenty of people who associate 13 with black cats and series of unfortunate events. However, this week has been a very fortunate one when it comes to picking up books. Even though I am still slacking on my reading, I was able to pick up a stack of potentially good books at Stuff Ect, a consignment store, while I was looking for some last minute items to complete my Wonder Woman costume.
At Stuff Etc, I picked up...
- The Last of the Mohicans. I loved the movie so I hope the book is just as good. Plus, I think this is something my mom would like to read when I am done with it.
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I remember adoring this book when I was a teen so I want to read it again when I have some downtime.
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I never heard of this classic but it has great reviews on Goodreads.
- To The Lighthouse. I haven't read anything by Virginia Woolf but I always wanted to so I thought I would give this book a shot.
- Moth Smoke. I read The Reluctant Fundamentalist by this author. His books provide an insight into Pakistanis' lives in the United States.
- Cleopatra. I find Cleopatra one of the most interesting women in history so I bet I will love reading a historical fiction book about her.
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. My mom and both of my sisters have read books by Barbara Kingsolver. I can't remember which one is their favorite, but now that I own this book I can just pick it up when I want to give one of Kingsolver's books a try versus having to venture to the library. I am not fond of going to the library once it gets cold and snowy outside.
- Starters. I haven't heard of this book series but it has a pretty good rating on Goodreads so I am pretty excited for this young adult read.
I got all these books for under $8.00. Now, I just need to figure out where to put them since there isn't anymore room on my bookshelf. I also received The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom in the mail from a Goodreads' giveaway last week. I have read The Five People You Met in Heaven and One More Day by him. His book are great when I need something thought provoking that will renew my outlook on life.
Melissa purchased Allegiant by Veronica Roth which she has already finished. I am a little nervous about reading this book since Melissa wasn't very happy with this book and the ending. This weekend, another person told me not to read this book. Melissa also bought Embody and Image by Jamie Magee.
Have you purchased or read any of these? What did you find this week?