Sunday, September 8, 2013

Review: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Series by Chanda Hahn

I came across the first book in this series as I was perusing the free books on my nook, which has become more of an addiction for me.   What can I say, there could be worse things I could be doing.  Therefore it's justified- spoken like a true addict.  I read the first book back in May and upon discovering the third book release date was soon arriving I had to read the second book so I was prepared for the next one.  I'm going to try something a little different with this review.  I'm going to give you a review of all three of these books.  Just to warn you, this story is not yet complete and with the third book just released last week, we might have to wait a little more.  Not to fear!  I will make sure that I continue to read the remaining books and review them as well.  No really, it's the least that I can do for you.

 UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn
Rating: 3 wine glasses

Fairest by Chanda Hahn
Rating: 3 wine glasses

Fable by Chanda Hahn
Rating: 4 wine glasses

Mina Grime is the one girl who thinks she is invisible.  The girl with very few close friends, the quite one, a little clumsy, the diamond in the rough.  A very relatable character.  In the first book Mina discovers that she is a descendant of the Brothers Grimm.  A very powerful family line that comes with a curse.  To break the curse Mina must play out all of the fairy tales while going to school and being a typical teenager, however, the Story has taken on a life of it's own.  It has the power to manipulate the world and bend it to the story.  In the second book, Mina is getting tired of playing the Story's games and is forced into the story without her realizing it.  Snow White's story.  Learning her lesson from the Snow White story, Mina is determined in the third book, not to give in to the power.  Ignoring her destiny, the Story again has to take drastic measures to force Mina to play.  Charlie is missing.  Should Mina make a deal with a Stiltskin so save her brother?

If you like a modern day twist to the good old classic fairy tales, then these books are for you.  In the first couple of books, I felt the dialog was a bit childish and I needed to remind my-self that these are young adult books.  The third book is written much better.  You can't help but fall in love with Mina and her little brother Charlie.  Her best friend Nan and her two possible love interests, Brody and Jared are just as wonderful.  With these books I feel that I can just sit back, relax and let the book take me away.  I enjoy reading these and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...