Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #5

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we can't wait to get our hands on. I first heard about Burned two years ago when I borrowed the book from a friend, mind you I didn’t actually read the book until the end of last year. It was the first book I ever read by Ellen Hopkins and it took me a while to get acquainted with her unique, poetic writing style. It takes you to a place that is gritty, dirty, dark and terrifyingly real. I wanted to scream at the characters as they made their final choices because I knew, I just knew it wasn’t going to end well. I foresaw it, no grand talent there, anyone could have seen it coming from a mile away. I internally warned myself of the possible outcome, regardless I couldn’t avert my eyes or look away. After finishing, I was in a state of dismay, wishing for a different life for Pattyn and this sequel is that second chance to find a glimmer of hope in a world so full of despair.

Smoke (Burned #2)
by Ellen Hopkins
Release Date: September 10th 2013

Pattyn Von Stratten’s father is dead, and Pattyn is on the run. After far too many years of abuse at the hands of her father, and after the tragic loss of her beloved Ethan and their unborn child, Pattyn is desperate for peace. Only her sister Jackie knows what happened that night, but she is stuck at home with their mother, who clings to normalcy by allowing the truth to be covered up by their domineering community leaders. Her father might be finally gone, but without Pattyn, Jackie is desperately isolated. Alone and in disguise, Pattyn starts a new life, but is it even possible to rebuild a life when everything you’ve known has burned to ash and lies seem far safer than the truth?

What are you waiting on this Wednesday? Please leave your link below so we can check out your WoW and/or blog back.

4 comments:

  1. Like you with Gabrielle Zevin, I haven't read any Ellen Hopkins books! She's been on my TBR for years but I've never gone ahead and read her work. Guess I need to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should when you get some free time. Her books are fast reads since it is in poetry style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two Hopkins books so far and they both were pretty good! Great WoW pick, have a great weekend!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...