Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I know, I know, I'm really late reading this book. I bought it almost four years ago when it first came out and it's just been sitting here, moved around from nightstand to dresser to book shelf. When I discovered a fourth book had been released in the amazing world of Robert Langdon I figured that I needed to get this book off of the 'ole book shelf and get caught up.  I was really excited to read this book when it first came out, however at that time I was completely engulfed in another series and so this waited.  I didn't miss much.

The Lost Symbol by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol
by Dan Brown
Rating: 3 wine glasses

The Lost Symbol is book three that features Robert Langdon getting into some type of mess that requires only him and his expertise to solve the mystery.  Robert Langdon sure knows how to get in a mess. In this third book, Robert is called to Washington D.C. For an emergency seminar by a close friend and mentor Peter Solomon. Only when he walks onto the stage Robert is face to face with an empty room. A phone call seconds later revels that Robert has been tricked and Peter has been kidnapped.  Robert has to decide whether he will comply with the kidnapper's demands to code the clues to the Ancient Mysteries or work with the CIA to keep a very old and Masonic secret a secret.  With Peter's life on the line he must act quickly.  

Robert is amazing at first with his knowledge of symbols that takes you on a thrilling adventure again. I love the symbolism and the way these books make me think.  The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons are two of my favorite books and proof that I do read books other than Sci-Fi Fantasy.  However, in this book Robert's lack of belief limits his mind from decoding the artifact. Yes, Robert is not the hero in this story. I guess this is what Dan Brown wanted, but its not really what I wanted. I now see Robert flawed. Even after the conclusion of the climax, Dan Brown still goes on and on and on to try to convince Robert to believe. My issue with this is everything that Robert has already been through, I would imagine that he wouldn't have been this stubborn to try to accept that the Ancient Mysteries could be truth. This book kept my interest however it was predictable which why it only received 3 wine glasses.   I love how Dan Brown pulls in religion, science, and history and I will forever be a Robert Langdon fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...